Monday, April 12, 2010

studious reflection. Rosa ribbon chokers.


Another short-term goal of mine is getting back into arts/crafts shows. I haven't done these since my grandmother was alive & am negotiating terms with my personal helper, Mr. J.D.[um, & Alex too]. Eh, that doesn't matter. There are a number of things that need to be done & I'm staring at a deadline by the end of this week for a show on May 1st that I was asked to do [yikes].
~~~~~~~~~
One of my obstacles was a lower price-point necklace for starters. Starting off, I will not be able to take credit cards [I've been researching that, but won't go for it until I know I will be doing shows regularly-ish]. And spenders of cash are not so plentiful as they used to be & items over $25 don't sell quite so well in those circumstances. So, I've worked some ribbon choker necklaces up this weekend that I'm selling for $15. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At first, I was just going to let it tie in a bow & sell for perhaps $10...but strange thing is that the easier you try to make it, the more difficult it becomes. To me, I like just tying it because I'd play around & experiment...but not everyone is like that & it could come off as unfinished to the general public. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So ultimately, I did decide on finishing the necklace at 14" [choker length] with a 2" extension [because we're not all the same!]. I figure that this is the no brainer approach & no need to show pictures of the different ways you could wear it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
However, I did allow for the flower to be able to slide along the ribbon so you can wear it slightly to the side [which is my preference], or right down the middle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These guys are not meant to be worn loose. I maintain that I just don't think these guys look right as a single pendant look. And maybe that's something that I need to get over & make for my symmetrically inclined friends, but I'm at a wall with that subject. Update: I got over it & made a prototype of the single pendant: see it here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A single pendant variation most definitely doesn't work for the ribbons or suede lacing due to weight. They looked better when worn closer to the neck [ahem, a la choker style].
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd love to know your thoughts about these guys. This style is something I could make up a number in the next couple of weeks for the show. Lend me your comments, please...are these a waste of time or are they a decent bet for shows & more Etsy business?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks!!!
♥ -Kat.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails