Monday, January 11, 2010

Book Nook: Good reads from over the holiday...

 So...here are some reads from during the holiday. No major book reports, but I'll give you a quick one, two.

Necessary As Blood. I'm just now realizing that this is book #13 of a series. I will be investigating the library catalog to read more. Detective/suspense/mystery type books are a favorite of mine. There was a lot of environmental details, which is always a plus. And I was absorbed into the book--so I would recommend most def. There was a Scooby Doo moment because you realize that you met the villain towards the beginning of the book. That's all the hint you'll get from me, though.

Grave Secret. Since I love the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, I thought I'd give another of her series a try. Another detective-type book (with a twist). Okay, I liked the book and was absorbed into the story. I guessed who-dunnit early on, but still enjoyable. What I do have to admit is that the characters just don't seem as endearing as are those in the Sookie Stackhouse series. This is book #4 (most recent) in the Harper Connelly series. Before I commit one way or another about the characters, I will try out the earlier books.

The First Death. Okay. I studied art & some close friends of mine worked on comics as part of their art. Here's my geek side shining through...what can I say? Comic art, zombies, and two of my favorite written characters (Anita & bad-ass Edward).

Pirate Latitudes. This was found as a "completed manuscript" after Michael Crichton passed in 2008. Not sure who verified that info (or where the $$ went to)...but it is an easy and enjoyable read. It perhaps seems a bit different than what you'd expect from Crichton & is "short" (apprx. 300 pages). I just wonder if this was a final, final copy is all, I guess...there is all sorts of typical pirate lore (sea monsters, hurricanes, buried treasure...). I did enjoy it because of the historical/political undertows in addition to the adventure. Port Royal is the main geographical point of reference (before the notorious city was destroyed by earthquake in the late 1600's). There was also quite a bit of the everyday life references (i.e. ground earthworms into a paste for topical hair treatments...ick). Again, my geekier side coming out having studied/done field work in archaeology in St. Augustine.

A Touch of Dead. Sookie Stackhouse short stories by Charlaine Harris. From the forward, it doesn't seem like Charlaine played with the Sookie character in short stories before the books (vs. LKH's Anita Blake, which both the character & Anita's "world" appeared in some short stories beforehand). The author used these short stories to fill in the details about references from the books. While it's nice to get the background stories, I'm glad I borrowed the book from the library vs. bought it. If you're a fan of the books (or TV show..True Blood), go ahead & read. But there's only a handful of stories &, well...don't bother if you're not a fan. I like short stories on their own when there's a meaning (A&P by Updike) or are more gripping (think Bradbury). My favorite story from A Touch of Dead was "One Word Answer" filling in the details about when Sookie found out about her cousin's final death.

Cat in a Topaz Tango. This is a fairly "tame" series compared to what I read. The book doesn't get too dark & the good guys save the day before much damage is done. I have yet to read any of the other books in the series, so I can't say about them yet. What I love about the book is that it's partially written from the perspective of a cat. Tee hee. Detective/ mystery enjoyable read.

Coming soon to a blog near you...
Immoveable Feast. Actually, I'm just starting on this book. Believe it or not, I like travel memoir-type books too. My friend gave this one to me over the holidays, so I put it off to last so I could get the others back to the library. I'll let you know what I think soon.

Also working on. Dining chair redo & eco-friendly eucalyptus linens. Pictures & info this week.

Whew, glad to get all of that over with! Happy reading.
♥-Kat.

1 comment:

300 North Jackson said...

Thanks for all of the reading recommendations. One of my new year's resolutions was to try to read more. Funny how hard it is to find time to read!

A Jelly Girl

Related Posts with Thumbnails