Sunday, March 15, 2009

My secret fascination...

Well, it's also somewhat morbid. Ever since I was a little girl, I have been fascinated with planes & ships. Almost all of the men in my family were involved with various branches of the military. I grew up in Italy until I was about school age (father stationed there). Once back in the states, I lived in Pensacola, FL. P'cola is home of the Navy's Blue Angels & the base also houses the Naval Aviation Museum --where every child in the area visited no less than 2-3 times in their school career! Pair those visits with the discovery of Titanic, Spanish galleon in Pensacola Bay, & mysteries of Atlantis....&, well, I was never quite the same.


My Flights of Fancy necklace is doing very well & it seems that I'm not so alone. We all seem to have our various reasons. One of the many things that I'm working on is a sterling silver line with a focus on areas such as flight (personal & military) & naval (personal sea craft & military) & protective services too. However, I want to work on donating a percentage of the proceeds to the respective fields...so it is taking a little time to research.


When it comes to the military aircraft & sea craft, my heart's torn. My instinct says that any donations should go to family oriented charities, but part of me wants something to go to rescuing/ re-purposing "decommissioned" vessels & buildings. It just seems such a shame & I know that this is a selfish plea...it's just hard in the States, we seem to be so quick to tear down historic structures & scrap vessels that our family served in because it's easier & cheaper.

Forgive my personal rant...I was a member of The National Trust for Historic Preservation back in high school, I actually was able to to get close up encounters with the items brought up from the Tristan de Luna galleon, and I volunteered with the City of St Augustine's Archaeology Dept...so I'm passionate about preserving our past.

While doing some research, I came across Troy Paiva's night photography taken in various abandoned locales across the West. Please look at http://www.lostamerica.com/ The work is beautiful & sad at the same time & visually explains why I feel torn on the subject. I might pick a specific style to designate towards preservation & the others towards family related...but I'm just beginning the research. Will keep you posted.

Kat
http://www.cardinalhouse.etsy.com/

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails